13 September 2011

Safeway

Sorry for the long silence while I wandered other paths… I even thought for a moment that maybe this project was Over, but perhaps it just needed a little nap.

So, the Safeway near me is slated for an extreme makeover, which is quite controversial in the neighborhood. All the fuss has drawn my attention to the fact that indeed, it does look like a relic of a bygone era—the era when all Safeways looked like this. Do you remember?

I was walking by today when I thought it would be a good place for a shoot. I hung about for a couple minutes until my photographer showed up.

“In front of the Safeway?!”

“Yeah, I think it’s gonna go away… well actually I’m sure it’s going away.”

“The Safeway is going away,” he repeated with amusement. I’m sure he thought I was a total nutcase, but a harmless one, at least.

He snapped it & then looked at the image, muttering almost to himself, “is the Safeway in there? Oh yeah, it’s in there….”

I like this picture quite a lot.

1 comment:

  1. Of course I remember! Wah! My Safeway was a tidy 3 blocks from my house, growing up. I always bemoan the fact that if we lived there/then, I could send the kid(s) to the store at the last minute to grab some parsley or ginger or cheese or whatever thing I want to round out a meal...instead, we have to schlepp forever to what is still only moderately satisfying shopping destination. I agree, it's a delightful photo.

    ReplyDelete